Friday, June 8, 2007

A candidate for Painthood?


After taking a modern art history class (which Iwas bound and determined not to like but ended up loving), I got the impression that artists are somehow emotive, expressive, and use tremendously ginormous hand gestures not only in conversation but also whilst creating their work. While I paint I stand quite still and find that everything about me stills(brain, body, etc) and that is one of the alluring things about painting for me.

All this to say- yes, I paint too. People think I paint fruit and landscapes when I tell them I use oil but this is not the case. If you are an artist who loves using oil and feel forced to render photorealistic objects - it is not too late for you. You too can paint whatever you like. Do it.

1 comment:

Erik said...

My art teachers hated me in school because when I used oils, I never used a brush. I like to use verious sixed putty knives to apply my paint. In doing so, some of the work I did would take a week or so to dry. OOOPPPSsss